Saturday, November 14, 2009

Get 'em Waxed

Normal 0 0 1 602 3436 28 6 4219 11.512

It’s a coffee shop Saturday. And I am glad. It is my last free Saturday until, most likely, June. Snow is here and plentiful. Going to be opening up the mountain next Friday and I have been very busy getting lifts prepared, getting people hired, preparing for training, and looking at my skis and drooling, hoping that all of this will go smoothly so I can click in and remind my self just why I am doing all this crazy work. Which brings me to today’s lesson: Hot Coffee Shop Girls, and the associated gender roles within the establishment.


Seriously. Ladies, thank you for your hotness, and the hotness of the beverage of your craft. We have quite the relationship, you and me. It goes way back to when my sister, steamed her days away in the coffee huts of the Southeast Triangle. She would come up with all the latest concoctions, mixing unlikely flavors together in a way that would make my tastebuders explode. And all her little hot coffee shop girl friends would serve em up to me just right. And my sweet tooth, oh, my sweet tooth. All those years conditioning my pallet for the sweetest and ‘girly-est’. And really, I’m not ashamed. I like it. Who doesn’t want to combine the candy store appetite of a six year old with the jittery legs of a crack addict? But, I admit. I do feel a little trapped into the masculinity of my 6 foot two hundy build. Answer me this, Hot Coffee Shop girl. If you ask my name as you take my order, why then don’t you shout it across the shop when my order is up? I imagine I look pretty silly as I stand up from my table, puff up my chest, and begin my strut to the counter to pick up what the entire clientele knows is my ‘Rasberry Vanilla Latte with Heavy Whip and Sprinkles’. But remember, I admit, I like it! And that’s what is most important. You have left me with no choice but to believe that you gathered my name for your own purposes. Your own, evil, hot coffee shop girl purposes.



Which brings me to my next topic: Bruised Rib Cage.


Oh that feels nice! For a few consecutive years I was fortunate enough to be able to make it to Boston to see The Dropkick Murphys play their infamous hometown St. Patrick Day weekend. Hands down the most energetic and anthem filled concert you may ever see. In 2007, I couldn’t make it to Boston, so Vegas stood as a suitable substitute. And it had been two long years since. Until this last week when I was able to walk from my house here in little Bend Oregon, and once again sing along with the boys on the docks! No airplanes, no car rides. Just a bottle of Jameson and a few blocks. I gotta tell you though. As to be expected, it was quite a different crowd here in central Oregon than the Boston bunch. In Boston, for whatever reason, the crowd is pretty darn friendly. Home town boys I guess. If someone takes a dive in the pit, a whole circle of people will part the sea of bodies to pick you up. Bend Oregon, however, you guys are brutal. I kind of like it, in a way. Now, I guess maybe because I have followed this band so closely through the years, perhaps I felt a little bit of entitlement? I fought my way to the front and center, just as I have done many times before. My ribs pressed right up against the barrier gate, which at this venue, was flush against the stage. Nice! I didn’t budge, this has been and always will be my spot at a Dropkicks show. I didn’t budge, that is, until the last song when the band encourages everyone in the front to jump on stage and join right in. But those guys in the pit behind me were going crazy. At most shows, I don’t usually have to fight for my breath by pushing myself off the gate too hard. But here the push forward from behind was strong and consistent. There has been a straight line bruise across my chest all week. Let’s Go Murphys! (clap – clap - clap clap clap) Let’s Go Murphys!


Well, that’s enough for now. See ya next time.


- My Name is Jordan



Listening:

mewithoutyou, It’s All Crazy! It’s All False! It’s All a Dream, It’s Alright!

Tegan and Sara: Sainthood

The Dead Weather: Horehound

Poison the Well: The Tropic Rot

Reading:

Endless revisions of the Lift Operations Employee Handbook

Sailing Alone Around the World: Capt. Joshua Slocum

No comments:

Post a Comment